The Post-Bac Programs are highly structured and intended for students that have already earned a bachelor's degree and wish to apply to health professional schools.
Admission requires a B.A., B.S. or B.F.A. from a regionally accredited college or university and a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the bachelor's degree, or for the last 60 semester-units or 90 quarter-units of coursework taken. However, due to the limited number of seats available in each track, GPAs considerably above the minimum are usually needed to gain an admissions offer. The program accepts students with U.S. citizenship or permanent resident (green card) status, but not those with international student visas, such as F-1.
The summer application does not open until February 1 on Cal State Apply. If your intention is to apply for summer 2018, please do not submit the fall Cal State Apply, which is open now.
For Fall applicants:
- Applicants to the CCT track must have completed major's level General Chemistry I and a college math course.
- Applicants to the Pre-Nursing track must have completed a basic Biology course and a college math course.
For Spring applicants:
- Applicants to the CCT track must have completed General Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry I, and Biology I, all at the major's level, and a college math course.
- Applicants to the Pre-Nursing track must have completed a basic Biology course, a basic Chemistry course, and a college math course.
How To Apply
- Complete and submit the Cal State Apply Graduate application; general instructions are found on the Graduate Studies webpage.
When completing the Cal State Apply application, please follow these guidelines:
- After creating your account, you will be brought to the "Complete Your Profile" page. Under the "Education" heading, you will be asked to specify the level of degree you are seeking. Please choose "Graduate, including Credential and Certificate Programs." In the drop-down menu for "Type of Degree," please select "Post-baccalaureate Certifcate."
- Next, you will have the option to Select the Program to Which You Want to Apply. You may filter by campus, San Francisco State, and select which program to which you are applying. Pre-Medical, Pre-Dental, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Pharmacy students should apply to the "Pre-Health Professions" program. Pre-Nursing, Pre-Physician Assistant, Pre-Public Health, and other allied health students should apply to the "Pre-Nursing" program. Although that program is titled Pre-Nursing, it offers relevant prerequisite courses for the aforementioned health professions.
The Academic History section is one of the most important sections when applying to our programs.
- List ALL the colleges you have ever attended, regardless of the number of degrees earned or gaps in the dates of attendance. It is required to report all post-secondary colleges. Failure to list all colleges and courses may disqualify applicants from consideration.
- After you have added all colleges attended, complete the "Transcript Entry" section. Applicants are required to list every Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math class taken at a post-secondary institution. More detailed instructions can be found through the Cal State Apply Transcript Entry help page. Use this guide to assist you with specifying a course subject for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math courses. Please only use these four designations (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math) as subjects and do not list courses under specialty subjects like Anatomy, Physiology, etc. If a course was repeated, do not enter zero units, enter the number of units attempted and mark the course as repeated. You do not need to list other course subjects. Failure to properly complete the transcript entry section may disqualify applicants from consideration.
- In the "Supporting Information" section, please list up to six (6) relevant experiences. These may include employment, clinical experiences, community volunteer experiences, and research experience.
The "Program Materials" section contains specific questions for our programs.
- In the "Documents" tab, upload copies of transcripts from every college or university attended, including study abroad coursework and community college coursework, even if transfer credit appears on your degree transcript. You may upload unoffical transcripts to the documents section. Do not upload photographs of transcripts, or web views of your course history; they will be rejected by the review process. Only upon admission will applicants be required to have official transcripts sent directly to the Graduate Studies office.
- You may upload test score reports (MCAT, DAT, GRE, etc.), or other licenses or certifications. Please do not upload resumes. These sections are optional.
- Complete the program-specific questions in the "Questions" tab.
- Arrange for two letters of evaluation to be submitted; preferably one from a college faculty member. In the "Program Materials" section under the "Evaluations" tab, you will designate the contact information for your letter writers. Please use the following guide to assist you in this process.
- Upon admission, arrange for official transcripts from all schools attended to be sent to the Graduate Studies Division (instructions on the Graduate Studies webpage). Please do not send official transcripts directly to our office.
|Cal State Apply Application Open||Application & Materials Deadline|
|Summer||Feb 1 - Mar 1||March 1|
|Fall||Oct 1 - May 1||May 1|
|Spring||Aug 1 - Oct 1||October 1|
Final admission into the program requires completing an in-person interview at SF State. The admissions coordinators will contact those to invited for interviews. In cases of extenuating circumstances, a video interview via Skype may be granted.
Questions about our program including application and admission should be directed to our admissions office: