The Post-Bac Programs are highly structured and intended for students that have already earned a bachelor's degree and wish to apply to health professional schools.
Admission requires a B.A., B.S. or B.F.A. from a regionally accredited college or university and a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the bachelor's degree, or for the last 60 semester-units or 90 quarter-units of coursework taken. However, due to the limited number of seats available in each track, GPAs considerably above the minimum are usually needed to gain an admissions offer. The program accepts students with U.S. citizenship or permanent resident (green card) status, but not those with international student visas, such as F-1.
For Fall applicants:
- Applicants to the CCT track must have completed major's level General Chemistry I and a college math course.
- Applicants to the Pre-Nursing track must have completed a basic Biology course and a college math course.
For Spring applicants:
- Applicants to the CCT track must have completed General Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry I, and Biology I, all at the major's level, and a college math course.
- Applicants to the Pre-Nursing track must have completed a basic Biology course, a basic Chemistry course, and a college math course.
|Start Semester||Cal State Apply Application Open||Application & Materials Deadline|
|Summer||Feb 1 - Mar 1||March 1|
|Fall||Oct 1 - May 1||May 1|
|Spring||Aug 1 - Oct 1||October 1|
Final admission into the program requires completing an in-person interview at SF State. The admissions coordinators will contact those to invited for interviews. In cases of extenuating circumstances, a video interview via Skype may be granted.
The program will cost $600 per unit for core classes (health profession school prerequisite science and math courses) and electives. As an incentive for optional classes, discussion sections cost $200 per unit ($200 total) and Colloquia cost $100 per unit ($200 total). There is no difference in costs for in-state and out-of-state residents.
Financial aid is available in the form of subsidized and non-subsidized federal loans and unsubsidized private loans. Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application as soon as possible and officially forward a copy to SF State's Financial Aid Office. When completing the FAFSA, be sure to indicate that you are applying for an undergraduate, post-bac certificate program.
- The SFSU school code for the FAFSA is #001154.
- Grade level during 2019-2020 school year should be listed as “5th-year/other undergraduate.”
- Degree or Certificate should be listed as “Other/Undecided.”
Please note: Federal policy limits the financial aid available to post-bacs. At present, because the Pre-Health and Pre-Nursing Post-Bac Programs confer a certificate and not a degree, students are only able to receive federal financial aid for one year (three continuous semesters), starting when the student joins the program. Thereafter, students can still get financial aid through private loans and scholarships. Students facing this issue can also work part-time while taking classes part-time.
Questions about our program including application and admission should be directed to our admissions office: