The Post-Bac Programs are highly structured and intended for students that have already earned a bachelor's degree and wish to apply to health professional schools.
Admission requires a B.A., B.S. or B.F.A. from a regionally accredited college or university and a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the bachelor's degree, or for the last 60 semester-units or 90 quarter-units of coursework taken. However, due to the limited number of seats available in each track, GPAs considerably above the minimum are usually needed to gain an admissions offer. The program accepts students with U.S. citizenship or permanent resident (green card) status, but not those with international student visas, such as F-1.
For Fall applicants:
- Applicants to the CCT track must have completed major's level General Chemistry I and a college math course.
- Applicants to the Pre-Nursing track must have completed a basic Biology course and a college math course.
For Spring applicants:
- Applicants to the CCT track must have completed General Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry I, and Biology I, all at the major's level, and a college math course.
- Applicants to the Pre-Nursing track must have completed a basic Biology course, a basic Chemistry course, and a college math course.
How To Apply
Download and complete the supplemental application using the following link: Application Form. The application form is an Excel spreadsheet which contains a space for listing of science course work. Please follow the instructions listed in the first tab of the form.
The supplemental application always remains open and may be completed before the Cal State Apply application. Summer applicants are highly encouraged to complete the supplemental application by February 1.
- Save the supplemental application with your name in the following format (without quotes): "LastName FirstName PB Supplemental Application.xlsx" and email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: "PB Application."
- Complete and submit the Cal State Apply Graduate application; general instructions are found on the Graduate Studies webpage.
When completing the Cal State Apply application, please follow these guidelines:
- After creating your account, you will be brought to the "Complete Your Profile" page. Under the "Education" heading, you will be asked to specify the level of degree you are seeking. Please choose "Graduate, including Credential and Certificate Programs." In the drop-down menu for "Type of Degree," please select "Post-baccalaureate Certifcate."
- Next, you will have the option to Select the Program to Which You Want to Apply. You may filter by campus, San Francisco State, and select which program to which you are applying. Pre-Medical, Pre-Dental, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Pharmacy students should apply to the "Pre-Health Professions" program. Pre-Nursing, Pre-Physician Assistant, Pre-Public Health, and other allied health students should apply to the "Pre-Nursing" program. Although that program is titled Pre-Nursing, it offers relevant prerequisite courses for the aforementioned health professions.
The Academic History section is one of the most important sections when applying to our programs.
- List ALL the colleges you have ever attended, regardless of the number of degrees earned or gaps in the dates of attendance. It is required to report all post-secondary colleges. Failure to list all colleges and courses may disqualify applicants from consideration.
- After you have added all colleges attended, complete the "Transcript Entry" section. Applicants are required to list every class taken at a post-secondary institution. More detailed instructions can be found through the Cal State Apply Transcript Entry help page. When designating a course subject, the subjects of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math are of particular importance. Use this guide to assist you with specifying a course subject for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math courses. Nearly all other courses may be listed as the subject that most closely matches the course department.
- In the "Supporting Information" section, please list up to six (6) relevant experiences. These may include employment, clinical experiences, community volunteer experiences, and research experience.
The "Program Materials" section contains specific questions for our programs.
- In the "Documents" tab, upload copies of transcripts from every college or university attended, including study abroad coursework and community college coursework, even if transfer credit appears on your degree transcript. You may upload unoffical transcripts to the documents section. The application only allows for one file to be uploaded, so applicants must merge their transcripts into a single file. Only upon admission will applicants be required to have official transcripts sent directly to the Graduate Studies office.
- You may use the “other” document type to upload test score reports (MCAT, DAT, GRE, etc.), or other licenses or certifications. Please do not upload resumes. This section is optional.
- Complete the program-specific questions in the "Questions tab. When answering the final question, "Is there anything you would like to bring to the attention of the admissions committee?" use that space to indicate the health profession you wish to enter (Medical, Dental, Nursing, etc.).
- Arrange for two letters of reference to be sent to the Admissions Committee; preferably one from a college faculty member. Please instruct your letter writers to write your full name (as entered on your Cal State Apply application). Letters may be emailed directly from your letter writer (not from the applicant) to email@example.com with the subject "Letter of Recommendation for XXXX (Student Name)" or via mail. If sending via mail, letters only should may be sent to the following address:
Dept. of Biology
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132
- Upon admission, arrange for official transcripts from all schools attended to be sent to the Graduate Studies Division (instructions on the Graduate Studies webpage). Please do not send official transcripts directly to our office.
|Cal State Apply Application Open||Application & Materials Deadline|
|Summer||Feb 1 - Mar 1||March 1|
|Fall||Oct 1 - May 1||May 1|
|Spring||Aug 1 - Oct 1||October 1|
Final admission into the program requires completing an in-person interview at SF State. The admissions coordinators will contact those to invited for interviews. In cases of extenuating circumstances, a video interview via Skype may be granted.
Questions about our program including application and admission should be directed to our admissions office: